Do you have the next innovative business idea? Do you think your business idea can compete at a global level? Do you wish to immigrate to Canada, gain Canadian permanent residence and/or even Canadian citizenship? Do you have this ambition of moving to Canada and live in Canada and work in Canada? Then we would love to mention to you about the Startup Visa programs to enter Canada. It was introduced by the government of Canada to help immigrants who are entrepreneurs and with the required skills to build their business in Canada.
The Canadian government is seeking out immigrant entrepreneurs looking for a Canadian visa and settling in Canada, who are innovative and can create jobs for Canadian citizens. Their business must be able to compete at a global level. If you think your big idea can gain the support of a designated organization recognized by the government of Canada, this program can help you immigrate and become a Canadian citizen with a permanent resident status.
Eligibility criteria of Start-up Visa program
To be able to apply for the Start-up Visa Program for working in Canada, you must meet the following qualifications.
- You must have a business that qualifies for certain conditions.
- A letter of support issued by a designated organization is a must-have.
- You must have the required language skills.
- Enough funds/finances to settle in Canada is a must-have.
What is a qualifying business for this program?
If your business meets the following criteria, it is a qualifying business.
- Maximum 5 members can apply to this program as the owners of the business. When you get a letter of support from a designated organization, each person who is applying to the program must own 10% or more voting rights to the shares of the business.
- The supporting organization and those applying for the program must together hold more than 50% of the voting power that is attached to the shares of the business.
- When you gain permanent residency in Canada, you must actively manage your corporation while you stay in Canada.
- A major part of the work of your business must be done from Canada and the corporation must be incorporated into the Canadian economy.
- You must have a photocopy of the letter of support from an organization designated by the government of Canada.
Letter of Support from a designated organization
A business group or organization that is approved to make investments in start-ups must have pledged their support for your business and you and a letter of support from this organization is a requirement for this program. To gain this, below mentioned are some of the steps you can follow.
- First, contact an organization and research into how you can gain their support.
- Convince the members of the group that your business idea or innovation is worthy of their pledge of support.
- If they agree to support your idea, get a letter of support.
Different organizations have different ways of pitching their ideas. The organization offering support may ask you to either submit your idea online or pitch it in person. You must be prepared for both scenarios.
A letter of support is to be shared with the application itself. This serves as proof that the angel investor or venture capital fund or business incubator is in support of your corporation. A commitment certificate will also be sent to the Startup Visa authorities by this supporting organization. Both these supporting documents are essential in order to process your application.
Language proficiency requirements
Your language ability in the Canadian language of English or French is essential to you gaining Canadian PR and the success of your business in Canada.
To meet the language requirements, you must have taken and passed a language test from an approved testing institution such as IELTS. The result of the language test is to be submitted thoroughly in the application.
You must score a minimum of 5 according to the Canadian Language Benchmark in French or English in the areas of speaking, reading, understanding and writing. The authorities of the program can refuse your application for Canada PR if the language requirements are not met.