Family Sponsorship while residing in Quebec - an overview

Family Sponsorship while residing in Quebec

Family Sponsorship while residing in Quebec – an overview

Family Sponsorship while residing in Quebec is certainly possible. However, the aspiring candidates will require to fulfill specific steps and requirements. They must also keep in mind that Quebec operates through its distinct characteristics, and individuals will need to adhere to them before they plan Family Sponsorship while residing in Quebec.

The Family Class has successfully welcomed the second-most significant number of Canadian newcomers. However, it has been possible through the Immigration Levels Plan. Additionally, it permits a Canadian citizen’s or permanent resident’s family member to be together with their family. Moreover, it also enables them to arrive in Canada and attain Canadian Permanent Residence.

Sponsorship of a spouse

Foreign nationals may be sponsored to immigrate to Canada by Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are married or in a common-law partnership with them.

You must: “Sponsor” your spouse or partner if you are able to.

  • At least 18 years old; with Canadian citizenship or permanent residency; not in prison; not bankrupt; not subject to a removal order (if a permanent resident);
  • Not charged with a serious offense;
  • No prior sponsorship to Canada as a spouse within the previous five years.

The relationship between the sponsor and the one getting sponsorship must be established, and it must fall into one of the three given categories:

  • Spouse: The sponsored individual and the sponsor are formally married.
  • Common-law partner: The sponsored individual and the sponsor must have lived together continuously for at least a year.
  • Conjugal partner: If extraordinary circumstances beyond the couples’ control prevented them from being recognized as common-law partners or spouses, they may be referred to as conjugal partners.

Quebec has specific requirements for spousal sponsorship and an application for a separate undertaking. When applying, a sponsor must do so to both the MIFI and IRCC.

The MIFI considers the following:

  • The financial requirements for sponsoring immigrants who seek to settle in Quebec;
  • If the sponsor is receiving social assistance;
  • The sponsor is overdue on past Quebec commitments or support payments;
  • The length of the obligation;
  • A bankruptcy that has not been dismissed.

The individual being sponsored will obtain a Quebec Selection Certificate, which certifies that the person has been chosen to settle in Quebec if the sponsorship application is granted. They can then submit a permanent residence application to IRCC.

Sponsoring the dependent child

Children who wish to become permanent residents of Canada may be brought to Canada by Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

  • Your age must be 18 years, and you must hold Canadian citizenship.
  • Become a permanent resident of Canada who intends to return or a person who is registered under the Indian Act of Canada.
  • You must have the ability to provide for your basic needs and the needs of any dependent children you have.
  • Certainly, provide for your basic needs and the needs of your dependent children.
  • Ability to establish your relationship with your child.
  • Not hold a criminal record, be in prison, not be charged with a serious crime, not be bankrupt, and not be in default of a previous sponsorship to sponsor a child.

The dependent kid must be under 22 years old, unmarried, and a biological or adoptive child of a permanent resident or one with Canadian citizenship to qualify for sponsorship.

You must sign an undertaking as a sponsor stating that you would meet all of your child’s basic requirements. These would include housing, clothes, food, and medical costs. In Quebec, you are required to sign the province’s undertaking. In addition, the undertaking takes longer in Quebec than it does elsewhere in Canada.

Family Sponsorship while residing in Quebec – Parents’ or grandparents’ sponsorship

It is possible for Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their grandparents and parents to arrive in the country and settle permanently. They might even have the opportunity to someday apply for Canadian citizenship.

  • Be a citizen or Canadian permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
  • Must also be 18 years or above in age, live in Canada, earn more than the required minimum for this program, and provide IRCC with proof of your income.
  • Sign a commitment promising to provide financial support for the sponsored for 20 years (beginning when they become permanent residents).
  • Pay back any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members (if applicable).

A further undertaking is essential to be executed with the Quebec province. If your gross income is equivalent to the entire income shown in these tables, Quebec will consider you fully capable of executing a sponsorship assignment.

Once more, if the sponsor lives in Quebec, they must submit a CSQ application. After getting it, you can submit it to IRCC.

Currently closed is the Parents and Grandparents program. The final PGP lottery was held in October of 2022. However, the IRCC hasn’t said whether or not the PGP will open again in 2023.

Super Visa

The Super Visa is an additional choice for people who want to sponsor their grandparents or parents. Also, parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can visit the country for up to five years without having to reapply for their status. This is due to the Super Visa. It is a visitor visa with multiple entries with a validity period of 10 years.

The Super Visa is accessible every day of the year. Families have more confidence because there is no lottery to obtain a Super Visa. The Super Visa extends the stay in Canada for parents and grandparents. Moreover, it does not require renewal upon re-entry until the validity expires.